Greetings from Indonesia! After working for years to translate and create enough songs for each part of the liturgy, we did it! We’re now working on typing up 48 songs for the first ever liturgy and song book in Ambonese Malay! And it’s all full of translated Scriptures. Woohoo! Thank you all so much for your prayers, encouragement, and support. We just couldn’t do this without your help. There is so much more to be grateful for:
- The church just seconded a pastor to our office to work with us. She has an MA in psychology and is very excited about heading up a new Bible based recovery group program for alcoholics. This is something that is SO needed in Ambon. Matt had been trying to work on the materials, but now with someone to work on it full time, it can happen much sooner!
- We’re done pilot testing the Bible based parenting materials! The test group noticed a lot of positive change in the way they parent, and we are rejoicing at the potential good this could have in families here. Two congregations have already asked us to hold the trainings, so please pray that we can finish the last edits and that people’s hearts will be changed.
- I recently recorded a few young songwriters I’ve been mentoring, and they have been writing some great Scripture songs. It’s been super fun to see them love getting into the translated Scriptures to look for new lyrics for songs 🙂 This song is about how God takes care of us. And this song describes the response of the prodigal son’s father.
Some upcoming things to pray about:
- We have two songwriting workshops and three trauma healing trainings in April and May. Pray that we can communicate well with the organizers from each church and that we would do a good job of mentoring the facilitators as they take on more of the work.
- We’re going on furlough in June! We’ll be going on a road trip out to Minnesota in July and the first part of August and then living in Oregon until early next year. We’re very excited about reconnecting with family and friends. We still need some wheels for our summer road trip, so if anyone knows of a van we might be able to borrow for the month of July into the beginning of August, we would greatly appreciate it 🙂
We finally put pictures up from the last few months. You can check them out at the links below:
- November & December
- Matt’s Aquathon
- Christmas in Manokwari
- Bima Songwriting Workshop
- January & February
We now have awesome internet here in Ambon! We’re trying to use Mailchimp for e-mails, because we hear people like that more, but we’re still working on it. It’s possible that in a few days, you’ll get this same update from mailchimp, but it should have pictures with it 🙂
Peace, Matt and Chelsea Connor 🙂